The most common pollutants found inside your home are dust and pollen (in non-smoking households). Next are a list of compounds known as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).

These VOCs are most commonly emitted by paints, varnishes, fuels, aerosol sprays, insect repellent, wax, de-greasers, cleaning products, perfumes, cosmetics, nail polish and polish remover, and hobby solvents such as model or craft glues, markers, correction liquids, and some printer paper products. That’s quite a list and most everyone has the majority of these culprits in their homes. Why is this information so vital? Well the EPA lists the potential symptoms of toxic levels of these chemicals and the potential health risks are as follows:

Health effects may include:

  • Eye, nose and throat irritation
  • Headaches, loss of coordination and nausea
  • Damage to liver, kidney and central nervous system
  • Some organics can cause cancer in animals, some are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans.

Key signs or symptoms associated with exposure to VOCs include:

  • Conjunctival irritation
  • Nose and throat discomfort
  • Headache
  • Allergic skin reaction
  • Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
  • Nausea
  • Emesis (vomiting)
  • Epistaxis (nosebleeds)
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness

If you or anyone you know is experiencing these symptoms, first consult with your physician, then give us a call to have your HVAC system tested and serviced.

We have the most advanced testing equipment available to HVAC professionals and we care about your indoor quality. Call us today!